Sunday, December 20, 2009

Mexican Chicken


One of my favorite recipes came from a family friend, Anne Headlund.  My mother used to make this for our family when I was younger and I always looked forward to it.  The recipe is simple to follow, although shredding the chicken can be annoying – especially if you’re doubling or tripling the recipe.  If I take the time to make Mexican Chicken I almost always at least double the recipe.  It freezes fantastically and I pass around tuperwares to friends. 


The last few times I’ve prepared this recipe I’ve cheated and actually added my poached chicken to a food processor.  This certainly cut down the preparation time and the soup was much thicker.  If fact, it was so thick that I used it once as a burrito filling and once over steamed rice.  I would recommend shredding the chicken by hand the first time – and if you desire a thicker consistency, use the food processor.


I always have extra cans of tomato sauce in my panty, but if you don’t – you may want to consider purchasing an extra can just in case your soup becomes too dry and thick.  I almost always end up using at least 4 cans of tomato sauce.  It doesn’t hurt to have an extra one on hand.




Mexican Chicken



4 lbs. cooked chicken breasts and thighs shredded (poach in water until done)
1 Cup Chicken broth
10 oz. grated Longhorn cheese
2 Onions - chopped
2 Cloves garlic - chopped
2 tablespoons salad oil
1 teaspoon Chili powder
1 teaspoon Basil
1 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
2 -   4 oz. cans chopped green chilies
2-3 -   15 oz. cans tomato sauce

Sour Cream (optional)
Cheese (optional)


Add all ingredients to a large pot, bring to a small boil and simmer at least 1 hour.  Serve with sour cream and cheese.






1 comment:

  1. i love, love, love your mexican chicken! thanks for posting the recipe -- i'm going to try making it myself

    ReplyDelete