Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Meatloaf


My Mom is going to die when she sees that I posted this recipe. I used to *HATE* meatloaf - especially leftover in sandwich form. I could never understand how this was one of my Mom's favorite meals. I don't remember when it began (Mom, feel free to fill me in), but suddenly I loved meatloaf sandwiches. Here's her recipe.

Meatloaf

1 lb ground beef
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup crushed Saltines
1 tsp Worcestershire
1 egg
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/2 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
4 teaspoons brown sugar



Mix ground beef, onion, Saltines, Worcestershire, egg, and ground pepper with your hands. Place into a glass meatloaf pan and press down. Cook for 1 hour on 350 degrees. About half way through the cooking time, remove the meatloaf from the oven and drain fat.

In a small bowl, mix ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar together. When the meatloaf is done cooking, remove from the oven and drain of fat a second time. Spread the sauce on top right away.



Serve immediately or let cool and refrigerate for meatloaf sandwiches. Any bread is fine for the sandwich but thick Country White or Potato Bread works best. We love our meatloaf sandwich with Miracle Whip instead of mayonnaise. 



Last year I was at a restaurant that served its meatloaf sandwiches grilled. To do this, make a meatloaf sandwich and then spread some butter on both sides of the sandwich. Grill in a pan on the stove as you would a grilled cheese sandwich. This works best if the meatloaf is already warmed.


No comments:

Post a Comment