Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Chicken Korma

This recipe was delicious and I'm now even considering using Greek Plain Yogurt instead of sour cream in all of my recipes.  It was so spectacular as a topping to these pita sandwiches.  

I don't often cook with ground chicken or ground turkey and I was pleasantly surprised by the consistency and taste.  I will admit I was a little worried as I cooked the ground turkey (Yes, I used ground turkey instead of chicken because I couldn't find any!).  The turkey looked mushy and paste-like.  In the end, though - I was impressed!  I also doubled the amount of peas and cilantro in this recipe because, well frankly - I just love peas and I put cilantro on everything.  


While shopping in Trader Joe's, I came across some Middle Eastern Flatbread that I've used before to make tacos.  This bread is soft, chewy, and flavorful, so I used this instead of the "better for you" pita.  I didn't use cashews because I'm not a big fan of nuts, yet I bet that would have added a nice crunch to each bite.  I also didn't add any hot sauce because I'm a mid-western Caucasian and sensitive to spice.  I know most of my friends would have added a dash of hot sauce to their pita though.


Chicken Korma

1 large red onion; 1/2 chopped, 1/2 sliced
1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Kosher salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
3/4 pound ground chicken (or turkey)
1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt, plus more for garnish
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
4 pocketless pitas (or flatbread)


Chopped cashews and/or hot sauce, for garnish (optional)

Puree the chopped onion in a food processor with the ginger, garlic, coriander, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup water.



Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the sliced onion and cook until golden, 4 to 5 minutes.  Add the spice paste and cook, stirring, until slightly dry, 8 to 10 minutes.  Add the chicken and cook until opaque, breaking up the meat.  Mix the yogurt with 1/4 cup water, add to the pan and simmer over medium-low heat until the meat is cooked through, 2 to 3 more minutes.  Add the peas and cilantro and season with salt.



Meanwhile, heat another skillet over hight heat.  Brush the pitas with oil, season with salt and toast in the skillet, about 1 minute per side.  Divide the chicken mixture among the pitas.  Top with more yogurt and cilantro.  Garnish and cashews and/or hot sauce, if desired.

Serves 4

Per serving:
Calories 463
Fat 25g (Saturated 4g)
Cholesteral 57mg
Sodium 748mg
Carbohydrate 41g
Fiber 3g
Protein 21g

Recipe taken from The Food Network Magazine "Chicken Korma" March 2010

1 comment:

  1. YUM....The pita is not paleo friendly but that meat sure is. Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete