Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Chicken Tamale Casserole


I’ve been craving Mexican food like you wouldn’t believe.  Who am I kidding – I always crave Mexican!  I cut out this recipe a few years ago, tucked it away, and completely forgot about it until this weekend.  I’m sorry I didn’t try this recipe earlier.  It satisfied my cravings for some filling, cheesy, Mexican food without all of the calories or fat.  I didn’t have any egg substitute in my fridge, so I just used a regular egg instead.  I also mixed the chicken with the enchilada sauce prior to pouring the mixture over the cornbread.  Oh – sour cream is a must on this one!

Chicken Tamale Casserole

Cooking Light November, 2008

1 cup 2% 4 cheese mexican blend
1/3 cup fat free milk
1/4 egg substitute
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 (14 ¾ oz) can creamed style corn
1 8.5 ounce box Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles, drained
Cooking spray
1 (10 oz) can Red Enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (about 3 breasts)



Preheat oven to 400. Combine ¼ cup cheese and next 7 ingredients (through chiles) in a large bowl, stirring just until moist. Pour mixture into a 13x9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.







Bake at 400 for 15 minutes or until set. Pierce entire surface liberally with a fork, pour enchilada sauce over top. Top with chicken; sprinkle remaining ¾ cup cheese. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven, let stand 5 minutes and serve.


Nutritional Information
Calories: 354 (36% from fat)
Fat: 14.1g (sat 7.1g,mono 3.3g,poly 1.2g)
Protein: 18.9g
Carbohydrate: 36.3g
Fiber: 2.5g
Cholesterol: 58mg
Iron: 1.7mg
Sodium: 620mg
Calcium: 179mg

1 comment: